District Mittenheim

Not taking into account the Franciscan hermitage commissioned by Duke Wilhelm V (1548-1626), a rather exact date-of-birth can be ascertained for Mittenheim as well: September 2, 1716. On this day, Elector Max Emanuel (1662-1726) put on record at the Dachau district court “that he had the intention to build at Schleißheim a monastery with church for ten padres and two lay brothers”.
The Franciscans chosen for this were held in very high regard by this offspring of the House of Wittelsbach. Their activities only lasted for less than a hundred years, though, until the period of secularization at the beginning of the 19th century. Soon after, the round church was demolished as well.

The buildings of the monastery, which were used as farm buildings by the “Gutsherren von Mittenheim” (squires of Mittenheim), remain until today. After the Second World War, the estate was given to the Katholische Männerfürsorge (a catholic organization for the welfare of disadvantaged men) by its last proprietor Prince Biron von Kurland, who was married to a granddaughter of Emperor Wilhelm II.

The housing area adjacent to the south was put up in the late 1930s, and the St.-Benno-Haus in 1996.

drucken nach oben